Skip to content
ATA Carnets for the Media & Creative Industries

Do I Need An ATA Carnet?

What is an ATA Carnet?

If you're taking filming equipment, musical equipment, audio visual kit or indeed anything with commercial value into a foreign country, you will be liable to pay import duty and tax. 

The ATA Carnet allows the holder to temporarily import commercial goods into a foreign country without needing to pay customs duty and taxes.

It's accepted in 87 Countries & Territories around the world. These countries are signatories of the ATA Carnet Convention.

Do I need an ATA Carnet?

If you're travelling with commercial goods to any of the 87 countries that are in the ATA Carnet Convention, then Yes, you will need to use an ATA Carnet.

This now includes travel from the UK to any of the 27 countries in the European Union.

How do I get an ATA Carnet?